I, too, felt like I'd been punched in the gut when I read the first news of Stringify's impending shutdown. My disappointment turned to panic when it dawned on me that my 50ish reliable flows would have to find a new home.
I investigated the three suggestions shared by @Kris and developed some initial conclusions about them:
- Yonomi -- there appeared to be no support for Smartthings and since 90% of my HA devices are on my ST hub, no good for me
- IFTTT -- I assumed that -- just like it's been over the many years I've had a handful of applets running there -- IFTTT was going to be limited to one trigger and one action (and that I couldn't count on low lag time) and that all seemed to be the same as I expected and, therefore, not suitable for me
- webCoRE (or whatever its iNterEStiNg punctuation is) -- I took one look at the webpage of installation instructions and decided that it would probably not fly on my Chromebook (on which nothing can be "installed" locally) and that it was way too much programming for me to learn
(Sometime last year, in reaction to some ST downtime, I bought a Hubitat, but had such difficulty getting one frustrating lightswitch moved from ST to Hubitat, I put it back in the box and decided that was not the right thing for me. So moving from Stringify to Hubitat just brought back those painful memories.)
Reddit seemed to have a couple good discussions about alternatives, but none of those mentioned seemed to be good candidates for me, either, so I documented all those observations in a spreadsheet (so I could later remember why I skipped them) and pretended like ignoring this situation would make it all better.
A few days ago, I caught a whiff of another "Hey! Stringify is shutting down -- for realz!" message somewhere and thought, "Ugh, I'd better start looking into migrating these flows somewhere."
I pulled up my old spreadsheet, poked around this forum and Reddit, and saw that someone had mentioned using Alexa Routines as a HA control, so I looked at the Alexa app on my phone and realized that the Alexa Routines were similar to IFTTT but contained one trigger + time and multiple (albeit limited) actions. So I started working my way through my old flows and disabling those that I felt like I'd properly created as Alexa Routines. I wasn't thrilled about hitching my wagon to Amazon like this, but (my preference) Google Home's "solution" seemed to require a voice command to trigger anything (ridiculous), and I knew time was ticking with Stringify, so I kept migrating.
In the end, I'd say that I was able to migrate/contort about 80% of my flows to Alexa Routines. (I say "contort" because my wife has a plant light she wants on for 14 hours and I found that the max wait time in an Alexa Routine is 4 hours. So I had a routine with this as the actions: light on, wait 4h, wait 4h, wait 4h, wait 2h, light off. Silly.)
However, some cosmic force (perhaps Kris!) seemed to keep nudging me to look at webCoRE, so I circled back to see what it was about.
Long and short of it is that I watched the webCoRE intro video and the installation video and at each step in the latter, I paused the video, mimicked the steps on my machine, and about 30 minutes later, found myself staring at a fully functional webCoRE editor. A few minutes after that, I'd created my own (simple) piston. Yay!
I realized that I'd had two big misunderstandings which kept me from exploring webCoRE further:
- I assumed I'd need to install something locally. I was wrong. The installation is something to do with code that the creator of webCoRE has on Github which you fork and bring into your Smarthings IDE, use OAuth to allow, blah blah blah, something else that's way over my head, but the key part is that the video walked me through each step. Watching that video, I never felt lost or like I had to guess at what to do next.
- I assumed webCoRE meant lots of programming/code. I was wrong. While it's nowhere near as graphical/drag-and-drop as Stringify, it's pretty easy to set up a piston and the logic is clean and decipherable. "If this happens, do this" and with a little clicking around to explore, I'm finding that I'm learning how/where to locate things like sunrise/sunset, no motion for X minutes, etc.
(I plan to donate to webCoRE because, as best I can tell, it has saved me from a cranky spouse. )
So I am making this super-long post in the hopes that my expectation (believing webCoRE to be very difficult for me to use) and eventual realization that I was mistaken helps someone in a similar situation.
(I see a note that Samsung may/will pull the plug on custom code in a workspace and I hope that -- if/when that happens -- I'll be able to export my pistons elsewhere or at least have the confidence that I lacked when I first faced webCoRE, knowing that I can try something else, even if it seems kind of "programmey".
THANK YOU, Kris, for creating and supporting such a useful tool and for recommending webCoRE.